How to Keep Your Acura in Top Shape
Want to extend the life of your Acura and lower your total cost of ownership at the same time? In addition to taking your vehicle in for service at regular maintenance intervals, simply follow these tips no matter what new model you buy from Acura of Milford. Your Acura is an investment, and you want to do your best to ensure that it stays in peak condition.
Top Car Care Tips
- Change the Oil – Old or insufficient oil can ruin an engine in no time at all. Be sure to have your oil and oil filter changed at least once every three months or after 3,000 miles of travel.
- Flush the Coolant – Bad coolant can cause your vehicle to overheat and literally melt from the inside out. Flushing the coolant system once a year and replacing the fluid prevents corrosion and build up.
- Change the Transmission Fluid – Transmission problems are expensive and time-consuming to fix. Check when your vehicle recommends replacing the transmission fluid and other gear oils, then follow that schedule diligently.
- Wash Regularly – Corrosion on the exterior and undercarriage of the vehicle compromises both looks and performance. Wash your vehicle regularly, particularly after traveling in dirty, dusty, or salty road conditions.
- Apply Lube Regularly – Engines are filled with moving parts that require lube to reduce friction. Over time lube and engine grease gets dirty and melts off, which is why it must be replaced.
- Apply Wax Regularly – Dings in your paint job can quickly lead to corrosion. Applying wax once at least every six months protects the paint and keeps you Acura looking like new.
- Avoid the Sun – Constant exposure to the sun can cause interior and exterior materials to fade, wear out, and fail sooner. Parking in the shade, installing window screens, and applying a coating of UV blocker inside the cabin reduces sun damage.
- Replace Brake Fluid – Old brake fluid causes hoses, calipers, and other components to fail faster. Replace this fluid at least one a year to optimize brake performance.
- Monitor the Tires – The amount of miles you drive determines how quickly your tires wear out. Inspect them regularly for signs of damage or indications of impending failure, and replace them as soon as necessary.
Rely on Acura of Milford for All Things Service
Car maintenance can be worrisome and confusing at first, and many drivers would rather leave the work up to an expert. Luckily, the service department at Acura of Milford is state-of-the-art and staffed by expert technicians who know Acuras better than anyone. Schedule an appointment at your convenience, and contact us with any questions or concerns.